1. Attend a public information meeting on the Homebuyer Program. (Dates posted on our website.) Applications are only accepted during open enrollment.
2. The Family Selection Committee/Director of Home Buyer Services schedules appointments for a one-on-one initial review of each applicant based on income and credit requirements. Applicants who do not fall within income and/or credit guidelines are notified by mail no later than 30 days after application received.
3. Applicants that do fall within income and/or credit guidelines will have a home visit scheduled by members of the Family Selection Committee. The home visit is to assess the current living conditions.
4. Based on selection criteria and information gained during the home visit, the Family Selection Committee/Director of Homebuyer Services evaluates applicant’s Need, Ability to Pay, and Willingness to Partner, and recommends qualified applicants to the Habitat for Humanity of Island County Board of Directors for final approval.
5. The Board of Directors makes the final decision on the acceptance of families. Unless more information is requested, applicants will be notified of their acceptance no later than 30 days after application received.
6. Applicants that are approved by the Board of Directors will sign acceptance paperwork which includes a "Sweat Equity Agreement" and then can begin working on their "sweat equity" hours in order to meet the requirement by the time of the closing of escrow.
7. Habitat for Humanity of Island County staff will work with applicants to ensure they understand the legal documents they will be signing in connection with the purchase of the home. This includes a clear understanding of the mortgage, resale restrictions, and leasing the land.
8. Each month Habitat for Humanity of Island County shall review each family's status - documented "sweat equity hours" and current copies of credit and income documents to verify that the family still qualifies to purchase the home.
9. Once the applicant has contributed 50 sweat equity hours, a home is identified (new construction or existing home) and applicant signs a Purchase and Sales Agreement. Soon after this, the mortgage request is submitted to a lender.
290 SE Pioneer Way
Oak Harbor, WA 98277
380 SE Pioneer Way, Ste. 103 Oak Harbor WA 98277
PO Box 2279
Oak Harbor, WA 98277
Accepting Applications NOW!!!
Applications are accepted by appointments only. Please contact email@example.com to make an appointment. You must download both forms - Application Checklist and Application Packet and make sure ALL documents are completed before booking an appointment.
If you are interested and feel your family qualifies for the program, you can begin the application process today! The following is what you can expect through the application process:
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.
1592 Main Street
Freeland, WA 98249
Copyright © Habitat for Humanity of Island County
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
HOME OWNER SELECTION PROCESS