Funds for Homes
Habitat for Humanity of Island County is partnering with GiveBIG Washington to give everyone a chance to make a lasting difference in our community.
Getting started is easy and free. All you have to do is create a fundraising page, using our pre-made template, write a message about why you support Habitat for Humanity and our vision of a world where everyone has a safe, affordable place to call home, and then share it with your friends and family.
The template has a picture that you can use or you can choose one of these images or upload your own.
How to create your fundraising page
- Go to the Habitat for Humanity of Island County page on the GiveBIG website: HFHIC-GiveBIG
- Click the FUNDRAISE button
- Enter your FUNdraiser Title
- Enter your goal: Think about how many people you will ask and estimate how much they may be able to give. Ex. 100 people x $10 = $1000! You can always adjust your goal later.
- Use the image on the template, use one of the images provided on this page, or upload your own.
- Write your fundraiser story. Tell donors why you are supporting Habitat, share any personal connection. Directly ask for a donation.
- Publish your page. You’ll be asked to create or login to a donor account, which you can use to edit your page later. Make sure to copy the page’s url to share with potential donors.
Sharing your FUNdraising page
Share your page wherever you want. Post on your social media accounts, send direct messages, text, and email are your best bets.
Share a little of your story and why you are raising funds for Island County Habitat. Be sure to let them know that the GiveBIG campaign begins April 20 and ends on May 8 so they don’t delay and miss their opportunity.
Ask your friends and family to give and also to share your page. Ask for a specific amouhnt that you think they can give – $5 or $10, or more.
Thank everyone when they give and remind them to share your page.
To use one of these images on your campaign page, click on the image. It will open in a pop-up window. Right click on the image and select “Save image as…” save to your computer in a place you will remember. From your Fundraiser campaign page click “select a different image”, navigate to the saved image and click “open” to add it to your page.
Messages to share
Stable housing has a tremendous impact on family and community health, improved education outcomes for children, and increased financial stability and opportunity. The cascading effects are far-reaching and transformational.
1 in 7 households spend half or more of their income on housing, leaving little to pay for other necessities like food, medical care, and clothing.
Habitat offers families stability through shelter, which benefits children through consistency in schooling and minimized disruptions to their education.
Homeownership leads to better test scores and higher rates of high school gradation and college attendance, especially among children of low-income homeowners.
Habitat homes are energy efficient, reducing the impact on the environment and lowering costs for the homeowner.
Improving housing quality improves general health status, respiratory health and mental health and reduces the risk of injury.
Decreasing housing costs for cost-burdoned households releases resources to spend on nutritious food and healthcare and limits overcrowding to minimize the spread of respiratory infectious diseases.
With your support, Habitat homeowners achieve strength, stability and independence and local economies benefit in numerous ways, tangibly and intrinsically.